For my DIY Wednesday challenge, I found a great idea to add to my laundry room makeover: A plywood counter top! This project is not only fancy looking, but very cost effective! I would only spend $100 on the materials, and still have a dreamy waterfall look that cascades over my washer and dryer! I think this idea is a winner! It will be added to the “To Do” list when I finally put the room together. You could even build a fabulous island in your kitchen like this for just a fraction of the cost. Below, I’ve shared the step-by-step process that you could follow to build your own counter top too:
To make this project you’ll need:
(2) 4×8 sheets of plywood (1 premium and 1 not-so-premium)
Start by measuring the size that you want your countertop to be. You’ll need to leave at least an inch between the top of the washer/dryer and the countertop and an inch on each side. I had some people ask about their dancing appliances. If your washer/dryer move around when they are cycling they need to be balanced better, it shouldn’t effect your countertop design. Heck maybe it will help tone it down a little?
It was super important to me design wise to have the wood grain waterfall down the side (so that its continuous) because plywood comes in an 8 foot length you’ll want to keep that in mind if you are planning on doing the same! We used the entire 8’ length for our countertop.
Once everything is dry, use a table saw to cut it to size. Make sure that the side that waterfalls down is cut at 45 degree angles so that they match up! (You’ll do this by setting your saw blade to 45 degrees before you make the cut!)
To brace the countertop we installed 2×4’s into the studs along the back wall and corner brackets along the side wall. Make sure that they are level and at least an inch above the height of your washer and dryer.
We secured the top of our countertop to the brackets using wood screws. To join our 2 pieces to make the waterfall, we put brackets on the top piece and secured it to the side of the vertical piece. Once everything was installed I gave it a light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth everything perfectly and applied a coat of Triple Thick Polyurethane.
*Thank you Mandi from vintagerevivals.com for this week’s DIY idea
If you decided to try this in your space, please remember to share pictures and your experience. We want to know if it was easy to accomplish. Don’t worry, when I finally try this project out, you will be the first to know! Happy Wednesday everyone!