Anyone who has been in my kitchen knows that I have a passion for cakes! The more unique, the better! I was browsing through a list of fifty delicious cakes, and I found one in particular that made my mouth water! It’s called, “Almond Honey Cakes with Srrawberry Ripple Cream.” Sounds scrumptious, right?
Well, honey cakes date back to the prehistoric times, with the basic ingredients of honey, flour and oil. The cakes were simple back then, but have taken on a more elaborate look over time. The Russian honey cake is about ten thin layers high, with a burnt honey and dulce de leche whipped icing in between. In Figi, the honey cake is baked like a loaf with sliced almonds, and a touch of nutmeg. Any way you slice it, it’s all good to me!
Here is the honey cake recipe I had in mind for you to try. I hope you enjoy! Happy Thursday everyone!
Almond Honey Cake with Strawberry Ripple Cream
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey divided, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour/almond meal ground almonds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces creme fresh
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries diced + more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one 8-inch round cake pan. Line with parchment paper, then butter/spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar, 1/4 cup honey, lemon zest and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at time, beating after each until incorporated. Add the flour and beat until combined. Add the almond meal, baking soda and salt, beating until just combined and smooth. Pour in 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons [Almond Breeze Almondmilk Hint of Honey Vanilla | https://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=592&pid=593%5D and beat until combined and smooth. The batter should be thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake.
- Remove from the oven and use a chopstick or fork to poke about 12 holes all over the cake. Drizzle the remaining honey over the cake and allow it to cool in the pan, at least 20 minutes.
- To make the cream, add the heavy cream and creme fresh to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Beat in the powdered sugar until just combined. Stir in the strawberries.
- Turn the cake out onto a serving plate. In a bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon honey almond milk until combined. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and then drizzle with a little honey. Sprinkle on the toasted almonds. Now spread the cream over the cake and top with fresh strawberries. Enjoy with more honey for serving. The cake can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days.