I am sold on the functionality, and flair of floating shelves! They provide essential storage, but are also home to cute knick knacks that you may find on your weekend visit to the local flea market. Shelves are versatile because they can play a room up or down, depending on the mood you are trying to convey. Floating shelves are surprisingly tough! They can hold a reasonable amount of weight if they are installed correctly, which can accomodate your favourite dish set, and show off your flashy stemware.
Here is a DIY floating shelf project that you can try at home. Take a look:
DIY Floating Shelves
This easy tutorial will show you how to build these DIY floating shelves. Just follow the free printable plans and how-to video. You can click the link below to download and print the full set of plans!https://www.shanty-2-chic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DIY-Floating-Shelves-Free-Plans.pdfKeyword: diy floating shelve, free plans
- 1 1x10x8 Pine or Whitewood
- 2 2x3x8 Framing Lumber
- 1 4’x4’x1/4″ Hardwood Plywood
- 3 1x4x6′ Pine or Whitewood
- 1 1/4″ Brad Nails
- 2 1/2″ Pocket Hole Screws
- 3 1/2″ Wood Screws
- Wood Glue
- Cut List
- Screw the three 7 3/4″ pieces to the back 32″ piece.
- Locate your wall studs and transfer the locations to the back piece. Pre-drill two holes at each stud location and use 3 1/2″ wood screws to attach the shelf to the wall.
- Add the bottom 1/4″ plywood. this piece and the rest of the project will be attached with wood glue and brad nails.
- Attach the top 1×10 shelf.
- Attach the side 1×4 trim.
- Attach the 1×4 front trim. Now you’re ready to tape off the walls, sand and finish.
*Instructions taken from shanty-2-chic.com
Wherever you decide to put these shelves up, they will definitely give your space the added touch that you’ve been looking for. Have fun dreaming up the possibilities! Happy Wednesday everyone!